In South Dakota, you do not have to become certified in order to work as a postpartum doula. Certification has many professional benefits, but is entirely voluntary in this state. Additionally, the state does not require a college degree to practice.
The following list displays training classes available in the state of South Dakota that you may find useful as part of your postpartum doula education. If you are pursuing a certification, the details in the listings will explain if the classes are a required part of a certification curriculum.
Postpartum Doula Training in Sioux Falls, SD
Organization Name: Avera Women’s Clinic
Class and Workshop Details and Requirements
The classes taught are Prepared Childbirth Caring for Your Newborn class (4.5 hours) and Prepared Childbirth Breastfeeding class (2 hours). These classes are not a required part of a certification curriculum such as those taught by DONA or CAPPA. The curriculum is focused on becoming a postpartum doula rather than a birth doula.
Course and Workshop Topics
These classes will teach you the following concepts about providing postpartum support to the new mother and baby:
- Learn how to recognize the normal physical and behavior traits of a newborn
- Discuss how to respond to a baby’s cries and what to do to address the issue
- Review newborn bathing tips, diapering care, and feeding options
- Learn about circumcision care if the parents decide on the procedure for their infant
- Understand the emotional and physical wellbeing of the new mother during the postpartum period and how to provide support
- Engage in the father’s role in helping with caring for the newborn
- Discuss the health benefits of breastfeeding, not only for the baby but also for the mother
- Learn how to encourage successful breastfeeding and problem-solving tips during feeding time
- Talk about the father’s role during breastfeeding and how he can provide support
- Learn how to use breast pumps and when the mother can return to work
Costs and Fees
Prepared Childbirth Caring for Your Newborn class – $40
Prepared Childbirth Breastfeeding class – $20
You can register and pay online with a credit card by clicking here. You can also check class schedules on the website.
Kyndal May is a certified doula with over 20 years of experience helping train doulas across the United States. She has received her certification from DONA (Doulas of North America) and has dedicated her career to supporting families during pregnancy, childbirth, and postpartum. With her extensive knowledge and experience, she is committed to providing compassionate and personalized care to every family she works with. In addition to her work as a doula, Kyndal is also a passionate advocate for women’s health and birth rights. She has spent many years educating and empowering families to make informed decisions about their birth experience. She also uses her experience to help train other doulas, passing on her knowledge and skills to the next generation of birth workers. With her dedication to her clients and her profession, Kyndal is a respected and valued member of the doula community.