You can legally practice as a doula in Tennessee without having a certification. Despite having no requirement to be certified within the state, many doulas do get a certification in order to be more competitive. There is also no requirement for a high school or college degree to work as a doula in Tennessee.
The following is a list of educational courses and workshops available in Tennessee which can be used for your doula training. Please read the details carefully to determine whether the classes are a required part of a certification curriculum. You are allowed to attend even if you are not getting certified.
Doula Training in Nashville, TN
Organization Name: Wonderfully Made Birth
Instructor: Carnley Proud
Course and Workshop Details
This is a 2 day labor doula training workshop offered from October 21-22, 2017. It will be from 8 to 6 on both days. This workshop is is required if you enroll in the CAPPA certification program.
Costs and Fees
Birth doula workshop – $450 for early registration. $500 for regular registration.
Register online, read about cancellation policies, and pay for the training workshop here.
Doula Training in Memphis, TN
Organization Name: The Birth Company
Course and Workshop Details and Requirements
- 3 day, 21 hour long Birth doula training workshop (required for DONA certification)
- 4 hour Breastfeeding course
- Online classes on relaxation and communication methods for doulas
Course and Workshop Topics
As part of your doula training, these courses will cover the following:
- Learn how to give the appropriate comfort giving measure during different scenarios
- Discuss how to provide evidence-based information so that the mother can make informed choices
- Identify how to maintain a stress free environment for the mother
- Understand a doula’s role and how to communicate with your client’s medical team
- Discuss how to nature the bond between the mother, newborn, and the rest of the family
- Discuss the ethics and requirements for certification
- It is not required, but is highly suggested to read training literature from a DONA approved reading list
- The Birth Partner by Simkin
- The Doula Book by Klaus
- The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding
- It is also recommended to observe a Childbirth Education course
Costs and Fees
Birth doula workshop – $335
Breastfeeding course – $55
Birth doula workshop and breastfeeding course – $390
Online class on relaxation and communication methods for doulas – $65
Registration and pay online here.
Or fill out the form and mail to:
The Birth Company
P.O. Box 2346
Ponte Vedra Beach, FL 32004
Kyndal May is a certified doula with over 20 years of experience helping train doulas across the United States. She has received her certification from DONA (Doulas of North America) and has dedicated her career to supporting families during pregnancy, childbirth, and postpartum. With her extensive knowledge and experience, she is committed to providing compassionate and personalized care to every family she works with. In addition to her work as a doula, Kyndal is also a passionate advocate for women’s health and birth rights. She has spent many years educating and empowering families to make informed decisions about their birth experience. She also uses her experience to help train other doulas, passing on her knowledge and skills to the next generation of birth workers. With her dedication to her clients and her profession, Kyndal is a respected and valued member of the doula community.