The following is a listing of courses or workshops which are available in the state of Idaho that could be useful for your postpartum doula education. Please look the details carefully to determine if the classes are a required part of a certification program. You have to be at least 18 to enroll.
Postpartum Doula Training in Boise, ID
Organization Name: Saint Alphonsus Medical Center
Class and Workshop Details and Requirements
The classes offered are Newborn Care and Parenting class (3 hours), Breastfeeding for Beginners class (2 hours), and Happiest Baby on the Block class (2 hours, DVD is included), CPR for Parents class (2 hours), and Parenting at Midnight: The New Parents Guide to Newborn Sleep class. These classes are not required or affiliated with a certification organization such as DONA International.
Course and Workshop Topics
These classes will teach you the following concepts about postpartum support:
- Learn how to take care of newborns through bathing, feeding, and diapering
- Understand the various hazards for the infant, including choking and car seat safety
- Discuss how to avoid common problems during breastfeeding and how to address the issues when you encounter them
- Learn proper breastfeeding techniques
- Discuss how to calm and soothe a fussy baby
- Understand common misconceptions such as how keeping the house quiet can be unsettling for newborns
- Receive hands-on instructions on how to hand infant breathing and cardiac emergencies from a program developed from the American Heart Association
- Learn about a newborn's internal clock, how to create a positive sleep setting, and how to avoid bad sleeping habits for babies.
Costs and Fees
Newborn Care and Parenting class - $20
Breastfeeding for Beginners class - free
Happiest Baby on the Block class - $30
CPR for Parents class - $20
Parenting at Midnight class - $20
You can check class availability or register for any of the classes by clicking here. There are scholarships available for people undergoing financial hardships.